When it comes to gaming, connectivity is crucial. You can have many options to pursue, but nothing beats the convenience of a gaming router. To get the best out of these routers, however, you need to get everything right from the very start. And that means going for the one that packs in what it takes to get all your connectivity needs covered.
Maybe you are starting out with the use of these connected devices. Or perhaps you are seeking an upgrade from a previous connection option. Nevertheless, finding the right gaming router shouldn’t be a daunting feat. These tips will help you land just the right router that can take your gaming experience to new highs.
Table of Contents
Top 5 Best Router for Gaming
- Minimize ping and maximize performance with four 1 Gigabit Ethernet ports for lag free, wired connectivity and 1.7 GHz dual core processor network efficiency
- Amp up your Wi-Fi with AC2600 dual band router that delivers blazing fast speeds up to 2.6 Gbps
- Put your gaming traffic in a designated express lane with advanced quality of service, bypassing network congestion and reducing lag spikes, jumps and jitters
- Make every millisecond count by using Geo filtering to connect to the closest servers and players so you can respond and dominate
- Monitor your network and game ping in real time so you can see who’s hogging the bandwidth by device and application
- Protect your network identity by connecting to a secure gaming VPN server
- Optimized to give you the lowest ping possible on Fortnite, Call of Duty: Black Ops 4, Overwatch, PubG, CS:GO, and more
- New-generation WiFi 6 router: Ultrafast speeds up to 5400 Mbps with the latest WiFi 6 (802.11ax) and 160MHz channels; Works seamlessly with all your existing WiFi devices
- Mobile Game Mode: Minimize lag and latency for mobile gaming with just a tap on the ASUS Router app
- Dedicated gaming port: 1 of the 4 LAN ports automatically prioritizes any wired device connected to it
- Connect more devices: WiFi 6 router provides up to 4x greater network capacity with WiFi range increased by 80%
- Unmatched coverage: ASUS AiMesh Technology allows you to create a flexible, seamless whole home mesh network with AiMesh-competible routers
- Peace of mind: ASUS AiProtection Pro adds a level of security so you never have to worry about unwanted access to your home network
- Tri-band (dual 5 GHz, single 2.4 GHz) AC5300 wireless router with the latest 802.11ac 4x4 MU-MIMO technology for maximum throughput (5334 Mbps) and coverage (up to 5,000 sq. ft.)
- 1.8GHz 64bit Quad-Core processor maximizes data throughput from 8-ports and dual USB 3.0 for optimizing network traffic and connectivity speeds 3. VPN Fusion enables you to run a VPN and ordinary internet connection simultaneously, effectively maximizing your connection speed to gaming servers (available via firmware update)
- VPN Fusion enables you to run a VPN and ordinary internet connection simultaneously, effectively maximizing your connection speed to gaming servers (available via firmware update). WAN Connection Type-Internet connection type- Automatic IP, Static IP, PPPoE(MPPE supported), PPTP, L2TP
- Game IPS Powered by Trend Micro provides multi-stage protection for your gaming network from external attacks and threats, neutralizing them before they reach your network or devices.Power supply:AC Input : 110V~240V(50~60Hz),DC Output : 19 V with max. 3.42 A current
- ROG Game Dashboard gives you access to exclusive features like Game Boost, Game IPS, VPN Fusion, and route-optimized low ping time gaming servers using WTFast Gamers Private Network (GPN) – all to help you optimize your gaming network
- AirMesh Supported - Upgrade your firmware to easily connect to other compatible ASUS routers to create a powerful and flexible whole-home Wi-Fi network; 1024-QAM high data rate, 20/40/80 MHz bandwidth
- JD Power Award- Highest in customer satisfaction for wireless routers 2017 and 2019
- Wi-Fi Router Made for Gamers: Leading edge 1.8 GHz 64 bit Quad-core CPU and 1G RAM accelerates loading
- 8 Gigabit LAN ports and 1 Gigabit WAN port, with Link Aggregation, you can team two ports to double connection speed
- AC5400 Tri-band Wi-Fi over one 2.4 GHz (1000Mbps) and two 5 GHz bands (2167Mbps), dedicate one band to gaming traffic.
- MU-MIMO and AirTime Fairness maximize total throughput and response rates.
- Range boost strengthens reception and Beamforming sends targeted Wi-Fi to keep devices connected at farther distances than other wireless internet routers
- Advanced security: Protect your network and connected devices with a free lifetime subscription to TP-Link HomeCare featuring next-level antivirus, robust parental controls, and QoS.
- Dynamic optimization prioritizes traffic to eradicate latency
- Dual-band (2. 4 + 5 GHz) AC2900 wireless router with the latest 802. 11AC MU-MIMO technology for data transfer speeds up to 2900 Mbps
- 1. 8GHz 32bit dual-core processor optimizes network traffic and connectivity speeds from the USB 3. 1 Gen1 and 4x Gigabit LAN ports
- Designed for lag-free online gaming and flawless 4K UHD streaming with WTFast game Accelerator and adaptive QoS; Product Segment: AC2900 ultimate AC performance: 750+2167 Mbps
- A protection powered by Trend Micro provides built-in 24/7 protection from external attacks and threats, neutralizing them before they reach your network or connected devices.DC Output : 19 V with max. 1.75 A current
- Manage your network with the ASUS router app – setup your network, manage usage and parental controls, even get instant notifications about important network-based events. Connected devices must be 802. 11 ac-compatible for best results. Ac input: 110v240v(5060hz)
Keep an Eye on the Security and Software Performance
First things first, security is worthy of keen consideration when selecting your router. The risk of kids bumping into inappropriate information is every parent’s worst nightmare. Thankfully, some of the best gaming routers on the market have ideal parental controls to keep this worry at bay. With some of the routers, you can use time slots to control your kid’s access to the internet. Others will enable you to provide access to your guests. This prevents the need for sharing your Wi-Fi password with anyone.
Talking about the control, overseeing all that goes through your router can be crucial too. An advanced firmware on your router could come to your rescue. This can get your needs for a firewall and other features covered. And you can make the most out of it if you want to install an advanced firmware as the DD-WRT.
Choose Between Single-band and Dual-band
Data travels through frequency bands, which can be 2.4GHz or 5GHz. The 2.4GHz band support 802.11g, while the 5GHz supports 802.11n and 802.11ac. As such, devices that use 2.4GHz band only are single-band, while the ones that can work with both the 2.4 GHz and 5GHz band being dual-band. The latter came to decongest the already overcrowded 2.4GHz band.
One notable difference is that 2.4GHz band can be slow and narrow in coverage. On the other end, the 5GHz band boasts high speed and broader coverage. But this fast band can see the signal weaken along the way. Still, if you want to get the ideal gaming router that can cater to your needs, dual-band is the way to go.
Is Faster Always Better?
While still at it, keep in mind that internet speed plays an essential role if you want ultimate gaming fun. You will come across the many routers for PS4 gaming with different speeds advertised. Don’t let this fool you, however; it could well be the combination of speeds for both bands. And even in real testing, you might find clocking some top speeds a challenge. So don’t rush out to the router advertised as AC1200, AC5000 or such. Just consider what can work best for you and go for it. This might call for a bit of footwork and testing, but check to ensure you have the right router.
What Area Do You Want to Get Covered?
The other crucial aspect that virtually every gaming router manufacturer seeks to deliver is coverage. If you live in a large home, pushing connection through each and every room might prove to be a challenge. Things can even be more daunting if you are using a 5GHz band router. But you can always go for an AC type to get leverage over the situation. These routers can stream data directly to the recipient device rather than spewing it all around.
This function is known as beamforming and helps reduce the changes of weakening signal strength. If this doesn’t get the job done, you can always resort to checking out reviews to understand the range of any gaming router you are after. Wi-Fi extenders can also prove helpful here. These devices pick up the signal from your router and rebroadcast it in another room.
How Many Devices Are You Connecting?
The other thing you need to keep an eye on is the number of devices that you will be connecting to the network. Apart from your gaming system, you might also want to hook up other devices around the house. These could be your TV streaming devices, phone, laptop, tablet, and such. Keep in mind that the addition of devices on your router slows the speed relatively.
This could boil down to checking the number of Ethernet ports on any gaming router that you want. Besides, it would be in your best interest to check the number of USB ports too. Dual-band options come in as among the best choices you can find for a gaming router here. They pack a punch to get your gaming going even when others are on network-intensive endeavors like live streaming.
Well, a few of the best gaming router options around are coming with a new feature. Also known as Multiple-User, Multiple-Input, Multiple-Output, this inbuilt tech is outstanding. It outsmarts the earlier SU-MIMO, or Single-User, Multiple-Input, Multiple-Output devices. Mu-MIMO delivers data to several devices simultaneously, giving you an edge when it comes to the speed. On the other end, SU-MIMO could only deliver data to one device at a go, usually rotating around the devices.
The difference is a bit on the slight side. Despite delivering the data to individual devices, SU-MIMO does this so fast that you can hardly notice the difference. For gamers, however, MU-MIMO ensures an uninterrupted data stream even when someone else on the same network is streaming videos or video chatting.
In a recap, all you should understand is what you need and what any router can deliver. Keep into consideration the number of devices you are planning on connecting to your router. Above all, make sure the gaming router that you want has the ideal security and software functions. This can be crucial if you have several other people using the same network. Just pick the right gaming router, and brace yourself for an ultimate gaming experience.