When it comes to gaming, connectivity is crucial. You can have many options to pursue, but nothing beats the convenience of a gaming router. To get the best out of these routers, however, you need to get everything right from the very start. And that means going for the one that packs in what it takes to get all your connectivity needs covered.
Maybe you are starting out with the use of these connected devices. Or perhaps you are seeking an upgrade from a previous connection option. Nevertheless, finding the right gaming router shouldn’t be a daunting feat. These tips will help you land just the right router that can take your gaming experience to new highs.
Top 5 Best Router for Gaming
- Fast wifi performance: Get up to 1500 square feet wireless coverage with AC1750 speed (Dual band up to 450 plus 1300 Mbps)
- Recommended for up to 25 devices: Reliably stream videos, play games, surf the internet, and connect smart home devices
- Wired ethernet ports: plug in computers, game consoles, streaming players, and other nearby wired devices with 4 x 1 gigabit ethernet ports
- Loaded with advanced technology: Designed with a 1GHz dual core processor, 3 amplified antennas, Beamforming plus, Dynamic QoS, Smart Connect, and more
- Usb connections: Share a storage drive or printer with any connected device or create a personal cloud storage to access from anywhere, using the 1 x 3.0 USB port
- Smart parental controls: Pause device internet access, view site history usage, and filter websites for free; Set online time limits, schedule device internet access, and more for 4.99 dollars /month (1st month free trial)
- NETGEAR Armor protects your network and connected devices from Internet threats; Get peace of mind knowing you have the best in class anti virus, anti malware, and data protection for all your smart devices, smartphones, and computers with a 30 day free trial
- Safe & secure: Supports WPA2 wireless security protocols. Includes Guest WiFi access, DoS, Firewall, VPN, and more. System Requirements Microsoft Windows 7, 8, 10, Vista, XP, 2000, Mac OS, UNIX, or Linux. Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0, Firefox 2.0, Safari 1.4, or Google Chrome 11.0 browsers or higher
- JD Power Award- Highest in customer satisfaction for wireless routers 2017 and 2019
- WiFi Router Made for Gamers: Leading edge 1.8 GHz 64 bit Quad-core CPU and 1G RAM accelerates loading
- 8 Gigabit LAN ports and 1 Gigabit WAN port, with Link Aggregation, you can team two ports to double connection speed
- AC5400 Tri-band Wi-Fi over one 2.4GHz(1000Mbps) and two 5 GHz bands(2167Mbps),dedicate one band to gaming traffic.
- MU-MIMO and AirTime Fairness maximize total throughput and response rates.
- RangeBoost strengthens reception and Beamforming sends targeted Wi-Fi to keep devices connected at farther distances than other wireless internet routers
- Advanced security: Protect your network and connected devices with a free lifetime subscription to TP-Link HomeCare featuring next-level antivirus, robust parental controls, and QoS.
- Dynamic optimization prioritizes traffic to eradicate latency
- JD Power Award ---Highest in customer satisfaction for wireless routers 2017 and 2019
- Router for wireless internet, works with Alexa, compatible with all WiFi devices, 802.11ac and older
- Dual band router upgrades to 1750 Mbps high speed internet(450 mbps for 2.4GHz + 1300Mbps for 5GHz), reducing buffering and ideal for 4K streaming Comparable to the router NETGEAR R6700
- 3 external antennas for long range WiFi
- Gigabit Router with 4 Gigabit LAN ports, fast access to Multiple connected wired devices, Ideal as a gaming router
- Integrated USB port acts as a media Server, easily share your USB drive content
- TP-Link tether app easily set up and remotely manage your home network
- Industry leading 2 year and Free 24/7 technical support
- Triple-level game Accelerator - optimizes your online gaming packets all the way from your PC to the game server.
- Geforce now recommended router – enjoy an unrivaled cloud gaming experience with no latency.
- Aimesh supported - works with Asus AiMesh compatible routers to create a powerful, flexible, seamless whole-home Wi-Fi system.
- Front-line network security – Lifetime free AiProtection Pro, Powered by Trend Micro, protects all connected devices from internet threats.
- Asus Aura lighting– multiple effects for a stylish vibe while can even be set to reflect the status of your network
- Tri band (Dual 5 GHz, single 2; 4 GHz) with the latest 802; 11AC 4x4 technology for maximum throughput (5334 Mbps) and coverage (up to 5, 000 square feet )
- Mu memo technology enables multiple compatible clients to connect at each client’s respective maximum speed; Supports every operating System, including Windows, Mac OS and Linux
- Built in ACCESS to Waist gamers private network (GPN) of route optimized servers ensures low, stable ping times for gaming; Printer Server ; Multifunctional printer support (Windows only)
- A protection powered by Trend Micro provides multi stage protection from vulnerability detection to protecting sensitive data
- ASUS Smart Connect delivers consistent bandwidth by dynamically switching devices between 2; 4 and 5 GHz bands based on speed, load and signal strength ; NOTE : Refer the user manual ; WAN Connection Type: Internet connection type : Automatic IP, Static IP, Pepo(MPPE supported), PPTP, L2TP.DC Output : 19 Volt with max; 3.42 A current
Keep an Eye on the Security and Software Performance
First things first, security is worthy of keen consideration when selecting your router. The risk of kids bumping into inappropriate information is every parent’s worst nightmare. Thankfully, some of the best gaming routers on the market have ideal parental controls to keep this worry at bay. With some of the routers, you can use time slots to control your kid’s access to the internet. Others will enable you to provide access to your guests. This prevents the need for sharing your Wi-Fi password with anyone.
Talking about the control, overseeing all that goes through your router can be crucial too. An advanced firmware on your router could come to your rescue. This can get your needs for a firewall and other features covered. And you can make the most out of it if you want to install an advanced firmware as the DD-WRT.
Choose Between Single-band and Dual-band
Data travels through frequency bands, which can be 2.4GHz or 5GHz. The 2.4GHz band support 802.11g, while the 5GHz supports 802.11n and 802.11ac. As such, devices that use 2.4GHz band only are single-band, while the ones that can work with both the 2.4 GHz and 5GHz band being dual-band. The latter came to decongest the already overcrowded 2.4GHz band.
One notable difference is that 2.4GHz band can be slow and narrow in coverage. On the other end, the 5GHz band boasts high speed and broader coverage. But this fast band can see the signal weaken along the way. Still, if you want to get the ideal gaming router that can cater to your needs, dual-band is the way to go.
Is Faster Always Better?
While still at it, keep in mind that internet speed plays an essential role if you want ultimate gaming fun. You will come across the many routers for PS4 gaming with different speeds advertised. Don’t let this fool you, however; it could well be the combination of speeds for both bands. And even in real testing, you might find clocking some top speeds a challenge. So don’t rush out to the router advertised as AC1200, AC5000 or such. Just consider what can work best for you and go for it. This might call for a bit of footwork and testing, but check to ensure you have the right router.
What Area Do You Want to Get Covered?
The other crucial aspect that virtually every gaming router manufacturer seeks to deliver is coverage. If you live in a large home, pushing connection through each and every room might prove to be a challenge. Things can even be more daunting if you are using a 5GHz band router. But you can always go for an AC type to get leverage over the situation. These routers can stream data directly to the recipient device rather than spewing it all around.
This function is known as beamforming and helps reduce the changes of weakening signal strength. If this doesn’t get the job done, you can always resort to checking out reviews to understand the range of any gaming router you are after. Wi-Fi extenders can also prove helpful here. These devices pick up the signal from your router and rebroadcast it in another room.
How Many Devices Are You Connecting?
The other thing you need to keep an eye on is the number of devices that you will be connecting to the network. Apart from your gaming system, you might also want to hook up other devices around the house. These could be your TV streaming devices, phone, laptop, tablet, and such. Keep in mind that the addition of devices on your router slows the speed relatively.
This could boil down to checking the number of Ethernet ports on any gaming router that you want. Besides, it would be in your best interest to check the number of USB ports too. Dual-band options come in as among the best choices you can find for a gaming router here. They pack a punch to get your gaming going even when others are on network-intensive endeavors like live streaming.
Well, a few of the best gaming router options around are coming with a new feature. Also known as Multiple-User, Multiple-Input, Multiple-Output, this inbuilt tech is outstanding. It outsmarts the earlier SU-MIMO, or Single-User, Multiple-Input, Multiple-Output devices. Mu-MIMO delivers data to several devices simultaneously, giving you an edge when it comes to the speed. On the other end, SU-MIMO could only deliver data to one device at a go, usually rotating around the devices.
The difference is a bit on the slight side. Despite delivering the data to individual devices, SU-MIMO does this so fast that you can hardly notice the difference. For gamers, however, MU-MIMO ensures an uninterrupted data stream even when someone else on the same network is streaming videos or video chatting.
In a recap, all you should understand is what you need and what any router can deliver. Keep into consideration the number of devices you are planning on connecting to your router. Above all, make sure the gaming router that you want has the ideal security and software functions. This can be crucial if you have several other people using the same network. Just pick the right gaming router, and brace yourself for an ultimate gaming experience.