For this post, I have put together a collection of the best ssd brands currently available.
After months of testing, we have reached a consensus on “what’s the best SSD Brand” and we will publish our results, all of this was done with proper testing methods & information/results archiving, which we will try to include here for you.
SSD’s are growing worldwide, it’s not just a futuristic and unnecessary component like many people thought when SSD’s were first released, in fact, it’s trending right now and it doesn’t show any signs of stopping its growth. According to some statistics, HDD’s will be entirely replaced by SDDs in a near future, they serve the exact same functions yet they are far, far more powerful and efficient, regarding gamers, there’s no such thing as the best SSD brand for gaming, the SSD has no particular function when it’s about gaming, it just does its usual job so getting any good SSD will help decrease your loading screen time.
While SSD’s don’t suffer from the same problems as HDDs with their average short life & easy to damage hardware parts, it is still important to know which brand to pick, while you do pay for the name, they are known for a reason, and that reason is QUALITY. Obviously though, not all of them are high quality, and we’re here to weed out all the “average” quality brands from the high-quality ones that are worth buying for a long-term & risk-free buy & as such find out which can be considered the best SSD brand on the market.
Things to keep in mind:
- Brand Reputation on all kinds of markets.
- Money Efficient
SSD Brand Reputation
Before purchasing you want to think to yourself:
“Is this a well-known brand?” as well as
“How are the reviews & Reputation of this brand?”
These are 2 crucial questions that separate a good from a bad brand, good brands usually are filled with great reviews and, therefore, a good reputation, and you’ll probably have heard about it before unless it’s a very specific brand (i.e.,: Only focuses on 1 market that may be on the rise or is not very well known yet to general society).
However, since you’re here, we will do the heavy lifting for you and tell you from our point of view the only a few reputable brands in the SSD market.
Speaking from experience and overall test results, we’ve acknowledged these 3 brands as the most reputable brands, they are all well-known brands especially Samsung, Kingston distinguishes itself as well in the RAM market while Crucial focuses on SSD’s and therefore may not be well known however we guarantee you they don’t fall behind, and you’ll see later on in this article.
Why these three brands?
Samsung is well known throughout the world for many different markets, it’s not a surprise to find it here as well, Its reputation isn’t just a fluke, Samsung can back up its reputation with its products great quality in all kinds of markets.
Regarding SSDs, Samsung is continually producing new and improved SSDs every year, in fact, its latest product has received fantastic reviews and the speed is just as amazing, you may see our Samsung 850 SSD review, there is literally no reason to doubt Samsung, it’s always a remarkable brand regardless of whatever market you’re looking into, it’s always a reputable and excellent source.
Top 5 Samsung SSDs
- THE SSD ALL-STAR: The latest 870 EVO has indisputable performance, reliability and compatibility built upon Samsung's pioneering technology
- EXCELLENCE IN PERFORMANCE: Enjoy professional level SSD performance with 870 EVO, which maximizes the SATA interface limit to 560 530 MB s sequential speeds, accelerates write speeds and maintains long term high performance with a larger variable buffer
- MORE COMPATIBLE THAN EVER: 870 EVO has been compatibility tested for major host systems and applications, including chipsets, motherboards, NAS, and video recording devices
- UPGRADE WITH EASE: Simply plug 870 EVO into the standard 2.5 inch SATA form factor on your desktop PC or laptop and let the renewed migration software takes care of the rest
- SAMSUNG MAGICIAN SOFTWARE: Make your drive work smoothly with enhanced Samsung Magician 6 software that helps you easily manage your drive, keep up with the latest updates, monitor the drive's health and status, or even enhance its performance
- TRANSFER IN A FLASH: Transfers files nearly 9.5x faster than external hard disk drive (HDD). Reads up to 1,050 MB/s / Writes up to 1,000 MB/s on USB 3.2 gen 2 supported devices*.
- SAMSUNG RECOMMENDS users to download the latest firmware update via the included Portable SSD Software 1.0 to ensure optimal performance
- Data transfer speed may vary depending on the user’s PC environment and the types of data being transferred. USB 3.2 Gen2 and UASP support are required for maximum transfer speed (1,050MB/s)**
- SAMSUNG RECOMMENDS the usage of the included USB Type-C to C and USB Type-C to A cables. Non-original cables may cause performance degradation due to the varying internal resistance and maximum allowable currency
- BUILT STRONG & SECURE: Shock-resistant and withstands drops from 6ft.
- ADVANCED HEAT CONTROL: DYNAMIC THERMAL GUARD (DTG) TECHNOLOGY protects the T7(T7 Touch) from overheating by automatically slowing down data transfer if necessary. DTG technology enhances product safety and reliability by preventing the T7(T7 Touch) from reaching an excessively high temperature
- PASSWORD SECURITY
- GO BIG, DO MORE: The 870 QVO is Samsung's latest 2nd generation QLC SSD with up to 8TB of storage capacity
- ENHANCED IN EVERY WAY: With an expanded, SATA interface limit of 560/530 MB/s sequential speeds, the 870 QVO improves random access speed and sustained performance
- BOOST CAPACITY: The 870 QVO is available in 1, 2, 4 and 8TB
- RELIABLE AND SUSTAINABLE: The capacity of the 8TB 870 QVO increases reliability up to 2,880 TBW using a refined ECC algorithm for stable performance
- UPGRADE WITH EASE: Upgrading to 870 QVO is now easier than ever for anyone with a desktop PC or laptop that supports a standard 2.5 inch SATA form factor.SAMSUNG MAGICIAN SOFTWARE: Manage your drive and enhance its performance with tools that keep up with the latest updates and monitor the drive's health and status.WORLD'S No.1 FLASH MEMORY BRAND: All firmware and components, including Samsung's world renowned DRAM and NAND, are produced in house, allowing end to end integration for quality you can trust
- Superfast read write speeds: SSD with V-NAND offers ultra-fast data transfer speeds of up to 540MB s (up to 4.9x faster than external HDDs); Ideal for transferring large-sized data including 4K videos, high-resolution photos, games and more
- Compact and portable design: Top to bottom shock resistant metal design fits in the palm of your hand and easily slides in your pocket or purse to take work and entertainment on the go
- Secure encryption: Optional password protection and AES 256-bit hardware encryption keeps your personal and private data more secure
- Seamless connectivity: Includes USB type C to C and USB type C to A cables to connect to PCs, Macs, smartphones and other devices
- Storage Capacity: 512GB SSD.
- Form Factor: 2.5” SATA III.
- Interface: SATA 6 Gb/s Interface, compatible with SATA 3 Gb/s & SATA 1.5 Gb/s interface.
- Sequential Read Speed: Up to 560 MB/s Sequential Read (Performance may vary based on system hardware & configuration).
- Sequential Write Speed: Up to 530 MB/s Sequential Write (Performance may vary based on system hardware & configuration).RELIABILITY (MTBF):1.5 Million Hours Reliability
- Compatible Devices: This Drive Is Compatible With Servers And Arrays That Accept 2.5" 7Mm Sata Drives
Kingston is another well known brand in the computer hardware world, especially in the RAM market, however it’s generally said that you pay for the brand when we’re talking about RAM, but this doesn’t seem to be the case for the SSDs that they produce & sell. From all the 3 brands, Kingston has the lowest average SSD price , although we also agree that the other two still excel in terms of quality, Kingston doesn’t provide as exciting speeds and overall life expectancy as the other 2 brands, but even so it doesn’t fall behind by a large margin, in fact, it’s also a safe brand if you aren’t willing to pay some extra money to buy a Samsung or Crucial SSD.
Top 5 Kingston SSDs
- Fast start up, loading and file transfers
- More reliable and durable than a hard drive
- Multiple capacities with space for applications or a hard drive replacement
- NVMe PCIe performance at a fraction of the cost
- Supports a full security suite (TCG Opal, XTS AES 256 bit, eDrive)
- Ideal for Ultrabooks and small-form-factor PC (SFF PC) systems
- Upgrade your PC with up to 1 TB
- Ideal for laptops & small form factor PCs
- Up to 2,100MB/s Read, 1,700MB/s Write
- Available in a range of capacities up to 2TB to meet your data storage requirements.
- Latenze e prestazioni degli I/O casuali prevedibili per un ampia gamma di carichi di lavoro
- Progettati per carichi di lavoro ad elevata densità di lettura
- Over-provisioning configurabile
- Funzionalità PLP (Power loss protection) integrate
- 480GB Q500 SATA3 2.5 SSD
Crucial is the least “well known” brand from the 3, however it’s far from being the worst either, Crucial has an excellent reputation in the SSD market, with almost no negative reviews, Crucial can and is compared to Samsung in terms of quality. Crucial provides the buyers with incredible speed and life expectancy, you can’t go wrong with Crucial SDDs, the price is also very similar to Samsung, there’s barely any distinction between the two besides an average of a slightly faster average speed on Crucial SSDs when compared to Samsung.
Top 5 Crucial SSDs
- Sequential reads/writes up to 560/510 MB/s and random reads/writes up to 95K/90K on all file types
- Accelerated by Micron 3D NAND technology
- Integrated Power Loss Immunity preserves all your saved work if the power unexpectedly gets cut
- Aes 256-bit hardware-based encryption keeps data safe and secure from hackers and thieves
- Crucial 5-year limited warranty
- HUGE CAPACITY: Up to 4TB, storage capacity - enough for up to 20,000 photos, 100 hours of video, 6,000 songs, or 400GB of documents with room to spare
- FAST: Read speeds up to 800MB/s – that's 5.6x faster than most hard drives
- TINY, LIGHTWEIGHT: Fits between your fingertips and weighs less than your car keys
- BROAD COMPATIBILITY: Works with PC, Mac, Android, iPad Pro8 (PS4, Xbox One, and USB-A computer require USB-A adapter, available separately)
- RELIABLE AND DURABLE: Backed by Micron, one of the largest manufacturers of flash storage in the world
- Boot up faster. Load files quicker. Improve overall system responsiveness
- 300% faster than a typical hard drive
- Improves battery life because it’s 45x more energy efficient than a typical hard drive
- Micron 3D NAND – advancing the world's memory and storage technology for 40 years
- Crucial 3-year limited warranty
- Innovative 3D NAND and cutting-edge controller technology, with read and write performance up to 3400/3000MB/s, pushing the limits of PCIe Gen 3 NVMe for tech enthusiasts, professional designers, and serious gamers
- Capable of enhancing data security and management with rapid, full-drive encryption, helping protect your data without performance degradation
- Optimize performance and durability with dynamic write acceleration, error correction, and adaptive thermal protection
- Operating systems open almost instantly, apps launch in seconds, and games load before you’re ready to spawn
- Backed by a limited 5-year warranty or up to the max endurance rating of 600 TBW
- Capacity: Up to 2TB with sequential reads/writes up to 2400MB/s/1900MB/s
- NVMe PCIe interface, marking the next step in storage innovation
- Includes SSD management software for performance optimization, data security, and firmware updates
- Backed by a limited 5-year warranty or up to the max endurance rating of 150 TBW
The answer is Crucial.
We have bought several products from many different brands but we have yet to point a single defect or adverse comment regarding Crucial, to be honest, we can’t do it either for Samsung but Crucial has the slight advantage over Samsung in terms of average speed which is why we have chosen it as the top brand, however by no mean are Kingston or Samsung bad, they’re also great brands which can easily keep up with Crucial, we would definitely recommend getting a Crucial or Samsung SSD for a safe long-term investment or a Kingston if you don’t want to invest that much into an SSD, it’s still a safe investment even though it still falls a slight bit behind, however you shouldn’t ever buy those very cheap SSD’s they’ll prove to be a bad investment as they tend to be low quality, remember to only purchase SSD’s from the best SSD Brand and/or Brands on the market if you want to make sure that you’re getting what you pay for.
I hope this list of the best ssd brands was helpful.
If you think I left out one that is important or have a suggestion for a future article, let me know in the comments below.
Renato Costa, Senior Editor at InnoReviews