For this post, I have put together a collection of the best ssd brands currently available.
After months of testing, we have reached a consensus on “what’s the best SSD Brand” and we will publish our results, all of this was done with proper testing methods & information/results archiving, which we will try to include here for you.
SSD’s are growing worldwide, it’s not just a futuristic and unnecessary component like many people thought when SSD’s were first released, in fact, it’s trending right now and it doesn’t show any signs of stopping its growth. According to some statistics, HDD’s will be entirely replaced by SDDs in a near future, they serve the exact same functions yet they are far, far more powerful and efficient, regarding gamers, there’s no such thing as the best SSD brand for gaming, the SSD has no particular function when it’s about gaming, it just does its usual job so getting any good SSD will help decrease your loading screen time.
While SSD’s don’t suffer from the same problems as HDDs with their average short life & easy to damage hardware parts, it is still important to know which brand to pick, while you do pay for the name, they are known for a reason, and that reason is QUALITY. Obviously though, not all of them are high quality, and we’re here to weed out all the “average” quality brands from the high-quality ones that are worth buying for a long-term & risk-free buy & as such find out which can be considered the best SSD brand on the market.
Things to keep in mind:
- Brand Reputation on all kinds of markets.
- Money Efficient
SSD Brand Reputation
Before purchasing you want to think to yourself:
“Is this a well-known brand?” as well as
“How are the reviews & Reputation of this brand?”
These are 2 crucial questions that separate a good from a bad brand, good brands usually are filled with great reviews and, therefore, a good reputation, and you’ll probably have heard about it before unless it’s a very specific brand (i.e.,: Only focuses on 1 market that may be on the rise or is not very well known yet to general society).
However, since you’re here, we will do the heavy lifting for you and tell you from our point of view the only a few reputable brands in the SSD market.
Speaking from experience and overall test results, we’ve acknowledged these 3 brands as the most reputable brands, they are all well-known brands especially Samsung, Kingston distinguishes itself as well in the RAM market while Crucial focuses on SSD’s and therefore may not be well known however we guarantee you they don’t fall behind, and you’ll see later on in this article.
Why these three brands?
Samsung is well known throughout the world for many different markets, it’s not a surprise to find it here as well, Its reputation isn’t just a fluke, Samsung can back up its reputation with its products great quality in all kinds of markets.
Regarding SSDs, Samsung is continually producing new and improved SSDs every year, in fact, its latest product has received fantastic reviews and the speed is just as amazing, you may see our Samsung 850 SSD review, there is literally no reason to doubt Samsung, it’s always a remarkable brand regardless of whatever market you’re looking into, it’s always a reputable and excellent source.
Top 5 Samsung SSDs
- THE SSD ALL-STAR: The latest 870 EVO has indisputable performance, reliability and compatibility built upon Samsung's pioneering technology
- EXCELLENCE IN PERFORMANCE: Enjoy professional level SSD performance with 870 EVO, which maximizes the SATA interface limit to 560/530 MB/s sequential speeds*, Accelerates write speeds and maintains long term high performance with a larger variable buffer
- INDUSTRY DEFINING RELIABILITY: Meet the demands of every task from everyday computing to 8K video processing, with up to 2,400 TBW** under a 5 year limited warranty***
- MORE COMPATIBLE THAN EVER: 870 EVO has been compatibility tested for major host systems and applications, including chipsets, motherboards, NAS, and video recording devices****
- UPGRADE WITH EASE: Simply plug 870 EVO into the standard 2.5 inch SATA form factor on your desktop PC or laptop and let the renewed migration software takes care of the rest
- SAMSUNG MAGICIAN SOFTWARE: Make your drive work smoothly with enhanced Samsung Magician 6 software that helps you easily manage your drive, keep up with the latest updates, monitor the drive's health and status, or even enhance its performance****
- Innovative V-Nand Technology: Powered by Samsung V-Nand Technology, the 860 Evo SSD offers optimized performance for everyday computing as well as rendering large-sized 4K videos and 3D data used by the latest applications
- Continuity tester/Wire tracer
- Secure encryption: Protect data by selecting security options, including Aes 256-bit hardware-based encryption compliant with Tcg Opal and Ieee 1667
- Warranty and compatibility: 5-year limited warranty; Windows 8/Windows 7/Windows Server 2003 (32 bit and 64 bit), Vista (SP1 and above), XP (SP2 and above), MAC OSX and Linux
- Included contents: 2.5 inches (7 millimeter) SATA 3 (6 GB/S) SSD & user manual (All other cables, screws, brackets not included); Reliability (MTBF): 1.5 Million Hours Reliability (MTBF)
- GO BIG, DO MORE: The 870 QVO is Samsung’s latest 2nd generation QLC SSD with up to 8TB of storage capacity
- ENHANCED IN EVERY WAY: With an expanded, SATA interface limit of 560/530 MB/s sequential speeds, the 870 QVO improves random access speed and sustained performance
- BOOST CAPACITY: The 870 QVO is available in 1, 2, 4 and 8TB
- RELIABLE AND SUSTAINABLE: The capacity of the 8TB 870 QVO increases reliability up to 2,880 TBW using a refined ECC algorithm for stable performance
- UPGRADE WITH EASE: Upgrading to 870 QVO is now easier than ever for anyone with a desktop PC or laptop that supports a standard 2.5 inch SATA form factor
- SAMSUNG MAGICIAN SOFTWARE: Manage your drive and enhance its performance with tools that keep up with the latest updates and monitor the drive's health and status
- WORLD'S No.1 FLASH MEMORY BRAND: All firmware and components, including Samsung's world renowned DRAM and NAND, are produced in house, allowing end to end integration for quality you can trust
- TRANSFER IN A FLASH: Transfers files nearly 9.5x faster than external hard disk drive (HDD). Reads up to 1,050 MB/s / Writes up to 1,000 MB/s on USB 3.2 gen 2 supported devices*.
- SAMSUNG RECOMMENDS users to download the latest firmware update via the included Portable SSD Software 1.0 to ensure optimal performance
- Data transfer speed may vary depending on the user’s PC environment and the types of data being transferred. USB 3.2 Gen2 and UASP support are required for maximum transfer speed (1,050MB/s)**
- SAMSUNG RECOMMENDS the usage of the included USB Type-C to C and USB Type-C to A cables. Non-original cables may cause performance degradation due to the varying internal resistance and maximum allowable currency
- BUILT STRONG & SECURE: Shock-resistant and withstands drops from 6ft.
- ADVANCED HEAT CONTROL: DYNAMIC THERMAL GUARD (DTG) TECHNOLOGY protects the T7(T7 Touch) from overheating by automatically slowing down data transfer if necessary. DTG technology enhances product safety and reliability by preventing the T7(T7 Touch) from reaching an excessively high temperature
- PASSWORD SECURITY
- INNOVATIVE V NAND TECHNOLOGY: Powered by Samsung V NAND Technology, the 970 EVO SSD’s NVMe interface (PCIe M.2 2280) offers enhanced bandwidth, low latency, and power efficiency ideal for tech enthusiasts, high end gamers, and 4K & 3D content designers
- BREAKTHROUGH READ WRITE SPEEDS: Sequential read and write performance levels of up to 3,500MB/s and 2,500MB/s, respectively; Random Read (4KB, QD32): Up to 500,000 IOPS Random Read
- PERFORMANCE OPTIMIZATION AND DATA SECURITY: Seamless cloning and file transfers with Samsung Magician Software, the ideal SSD management solution for performance optimization and data security with automatic firmware updates
- SUPERIOR HEAT DISSIPATION: Samsung’s Dynamic Thermal Guard automatically monitors and maintains optimal operating temperatures to minimize performance drops. Secure Encryption
- 5-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY: 5-year limited warranty or 600 TBW (Terabytes Written)
Kingston is another well known brand in the computer hardware world, especially in the RAM market, however it’s generally said that you pay for the brand when we’re talking about RAM, but this doesn’t seem to be the case for the SSDs that they produce & sell. From all the 3 brands, Kingston has the lowest average SSD price , although we also agree that the other two still excel in terms of quality, Kingston doesn’t provide as exciting speeds and overall life expectancy as the other 2 brands, but even so it doesn’t fall behind by a large margin, in fact, it’s also a safe brand if you aren’t willing to pay some extra money to buy a Samsung or Crucial SSD.
Top 5 Kingston SSDs
- Fast start up, loading and file transfers
- More reliable and durable than a hard drive
- Multiple capacities with space for applications or a hard drive replacement
- NVMe PCIe performance at a fraction of the cost
- Supports a full security suite (TCG Opal, XTS AES 256 bit, eDrive)
- Ideal for Ultrabooks and small-form-factor PC (SFF PC) systems
- Upgrade your PC with up to 1 TB
- 480GB Q500 SATA3 2.5 SSD
- 2.5 SSD
- Triple-level cell (TLC)
- Q500 SATA3
- 120GB Q500 SATA3 2.5 SSD
Crucial is the least “well known” brand from the 3, however it’s far from being the worst either, Crucial has an excellent reputation in the SSD market, with almost no negative reviews, Crucial can and is compared to Samsung in terms of quality. Crucial provides the buyers with incredible speed and life expectancy, you can’t go wrong with Crucial SDDs, the price is also very similar to Samsung, there’s barely any distinction between the two besides an average of a slightly faster average speed on Crucial SSDs when compared to Samsung.
Top 5 Crucial SSDs
- Sequential reads/writes up to 560/510 MB/s and random reads/writes up to 95k/90k on all file types
- Accelerated by micron 3D NAND technology
- Integrated power loss Immunity preserves all your saved work if the power unexpectedly gets cut
- AES 256 bit hardware based encryption keeps data safe and secure from hackers and thieves
- Crucial 5 year limited warranty
- Innovative 3D NAND and cutting-edge controller technology, with read and write performance up to 3400/3000MB/s, pushing the limits of PCIe Gen 3 NVMe for tech enthusiasts, professional designers, and serious gamers
- Capable of enhancing data security and management with rapid, full-drive encryption, helping protect your data without performance degradation
- Optimize performance and durability with dynamic write acceleration, error correction, and adaptive thermal protection
- Operating systems open almost instantly, apps launch in seconds, and games load before you’re ready to spawn
- Backed by a 5-year limited warranty
- Boot up faster. Load files quicker. Improve overall system responsiveness
- 300% faster than a typical hard drive
- Improves battery life because it’s 45x more energy efficient than a typical hard drive
- Micron 3D NAND – Advancing the world's memory and storage technology for 40 years
- Crucial 3-year limited warranty
- Capacity: Up to 2TB with sequential reads/writes up to 2,000/1,700 MB/s
- NVMe PCIe interface marks the next step in storage innovation
- Micron 3D NAND advancing the World's memory and storage technology for 40 years
- NVMe Standard Self Monitoring and Reporting Technology (Smart)
- Redundant Array of Independent NAND (RAIN)
- Incredible performance with read speeds up to 1050 MB/s
- Works with Windows, Mac, iPad Pro, Chromebook, Android, Linux, PS4, and Xbox One with USB-C 3.1 Gen2 and USB-A connectors
- Beautiful and durable design, featuring an anodized aluminum unibody core. Drop proof up to 7.5 feet. Extreme-temperature, shock, and vibration proof
- Includes a 3-year limited warranty
- Backed by Micron, one of the largest manufacturers of flash storage in the world
The answer is Crucial.
We have bought several products from many different brands but we have yet to point a single defect or adverse comment regarding Crucial, to be honest, we can’t do it either for Samsung but Crucial has the slight advantage over Samsung in terms of average speed which is why we have chosen it as the top brand, however by no mean are Kingston or Samsung bad, they’re also great brands which can easily keep up with Crucial, we would definitely recommend getting a Crucial or Samsung SSD for a safe long-term investment or a Kingston if you don’t want to invest that much into an SSD, it’s still a safe investment even though it still falls a slight bit behind, however you shouldn’t ever buy those very cheap SSD’s they’ll prove to be a bad investment as they tend to be low quality, remember to only purchase SSD’s from the best SSD Brand and/or Brands on the market if you want to make sure that you’re getting what you pay for.
I hope this list of the best ssd brands was helpful.
If you think I left out one that is important or have a suggestion for a future article, let me know in the comments below.
Renato Costa, Senior Editor at InnoReviews