When you think about the essentials of video editing, there are many things that you should have. But out of all, the most important is to have the best CPU cores, decent graphics card, faster drive speed, and optical drives. All of these and all other computer parts are connected through a single platform called the motherboard.
The motherboard is the backbone of all the computers’ parts, so it will affect your system’s overall performance if it is of poor quality. Investing in the motherboard is a pretty good idea as it saves you from severe consequences. Even if you pay the high cost, you will not regret it.
The best motherboard for video editing is the one that is completely compatible with the CPU, has all slots, ports, and power to deal with rendering tasks. A professional video editor would never compromise on the quality of his video; that could only be possible with the right computer.
There are hundreds of options in the market; choosing the ideal motherboard for yourself is challenging. After doing our complete research and in-depth analysis, we have shortlisted some great motherboards for you that will surely help you in video editing. Get a step closer to finding your ideal option!
Best Motherboards for Video Editing at a glance:
- TOP PICK: ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Hero
- BEST FOR 4K EDITING: MSI Creator TRX40
- TOP AMD MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
- BEST FOR CONTENT CREATOR: ASUS ProArt Z490-CREATOR
- BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK: GIGABYTE B450 I AORUS PRO Wi-Fi
- WHITE MOTHERBOARD: NZXT N7 B550 – N7-B55XT-W1
- MICRO-ATX OPTION: MSI MAG B550M Mortar Wi-Fi
Our Top Picks for Video Editing Motherboards
Choosing the right motherboard for video editing is not easy because there are so many options to choose from. But I have narrowed down my list to 7 motherboards that I think are the best for video editing.
1. Asus ROG Maximus XIII Hero
- Intel LGA 1200 socket: Designed to unleash the maximum performance of 11th Gen Intel Core processors
- AI Motherboard : AI overclocking, AI cooling, AI networking and AI noise cancelation
- Robust Power Solution: 14 plus 2 teamed power stages rated for 90 Amps, ProCool II power connectors, MicroFine alloy chokes and 10K Japanese-made black metallic capacitors
- Optimized Thermal Design: Enlarged VRM heatsinks plus integrated aluminum I/O cover, high-conductivity thermal pad, quad M.2 heatsinks with embedded backplates and ROG Water-Cooling Zone
- High-Performance Networking: Onboard WiFi 6E (802.11ax), dual Intel 2.5 Gb Ethernet and ASUS LANGaurd
Our winner product ROG Maximum is the best motherboard for video editing, thanks to its incredible features. Its Intel core processors are specially designed to help you in getting maximum performance. The deep learning database will reduce all the background noises and help you to focus on your task completely.
Amazingly, this AI motherboard comes with AI cooling, overclocking, noise cancellation, and networking that makes work all fun. The power design allows you to select power-saving modes, and you can also go from low power mode to full load within some time. While doing all its functioning, it will keep on maintaining exemplary thermal performance.
The memory of this motherboard is good enough to stay with you for a long time. OptiMem II allows memory to run at high frequencies, lower latency, and fewer voltages. Fortunately, the cooling options in this device are the most advanced and most comprehensive.
With its much higher bandwidth, you will get ultrafast wireless networking speed; this will help the motherboard have better performance with better capacity. You can gear up all your components by using the USB and front panel connector.
- Have separate water pump heaters
- Massive amount of thunderbolts and USB
- Clear Bios flashback
- High Capacity
- Provides better performance
- A bit more costly than others
2. MSI Creator TRX40
- Core boost: with premium layout and fully digital power design to support more Cores and provides better performance.
- 10G super LAN: next level speed, secure networking with fastest data throughput to improve efficiency.
- Wi-fi 6: the latest wireless solution supports MU-MIMO and bss color Technology, delivering speeds up to 2400Mbps.
- Lightning USB 20G: ASM3242 USB 3. 2 Gen2x2 controller offers the fastest USB speeds with stability.
- Total thermal solution: premium thermal design Included frozr heatsink, extended heatsink and heat-pipe.
The MSI Creator is another excellent motherboard you can use for video editing. With the onboard Intel Wi-Fi 6, you can connect high-speed Wi-Fi with it which will help in optimizing data transmission and will deliver great speed. It comes with a premium layout, supports more cores, and helps in providing you with better performance.
This motherboard’s 10G super LAN will support high-density, high bandwidth, and low-latency networks. Moreover, the LAN will offer you next-level speed and will improve your efficiency. Across a LAN network, you can quickly transfer large files, raw images, and 4K videos.
As you get high-performance motherboards, you might feel a bit difficult to control heat. Luckily, this product has a chipset that helps in controlling excessive heat. The chipset comes with PCI-3 Gen4 capabilities that help sustain the massive data bandwidth.
Built with 16 phases, this motherboard has an efficient layout, digital power and is cooled with an extended heat sink that will keep your system cool. Even if the CPU has heavy workloads, it will stay not get overheated. Talking about memory, you can add four additional lightning Gen with the ultra-fast SSDs; this will improve capacity too much extent.
- Premium layout
- Next level speed
- Secure networking
- Improves efficiency
- Advanced technology
- Bios isn’t very functional
3. ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
- Amd AM4 socket: ready for 2nd, and 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen processors and up to two M. 2 drives, USB 3. 2 Gen2, and AMD storemi TO maximize connectivity and speed.
- Comprehensive thermal design: active PCH heatsink, M. 2 aluminum heatsink and ROG cooling zone.
- High-performance networking: integrated 2. 5 Gaps Ethernet and Gigabit Ethernet, both with ASUS LANGuard protection, and support for GameFirst V software.
- 5-Way Optimization: automated system-wide tuning, providing overclocking and cooling profiles that are tailor made for your rig.
- Diy friendly design: pre-mounted I/O shield, ASUS safe Slot, BIOS Flashback and premium components for maximum endurance.
Having the best Ryzen processor in your motherboard is what every video editor wants to have. Luckily, this amazing product comes with 2nd, 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen processors. The power design of this motherboard allows you to transit from power-saving modes to full load. Its power stages help in providing you with efficient thermal performance.
Installed with a memory trace layout, this motherboard mitigates all the background noise and improves signal integrity. It is infused with Optimum III memory kits that help in operating at lower latency and reduced voltages. You can also take advantage of Zen 3 processors that provide you with massive bandwidth.
Thanks to its memory performance and infinity fabric, no matter how heavy your workloads are, the processor will handle it perfectly. With this motherboard, you can enjoy the fastest data-transfer speeds and incredible performance. In addition, wireless networking will enhance capacity in dense Wi-Fi environments.
Its thermal design comes with aluminum heatsinks, a passive chipset, and a water cooling zone; these incredible features ensure to keep it cool for a long time. All the premium components in it help in maximizing endurance. Also, the microfine alloy and metallic capacitors help in making this more durable.
- Excellent power
- Comprehensive design
- High-performance connectivity
- DIY friendly design
- Best memory performance
- Unstable USB
4. ASUS ProArt Z490-CREATOR
- ProART Z490-CREATOR 10G
- Memory storage capacity: 128.0 gb
- Intel LGA 1200 socket: ready for 10th Gen Intel Core processors
- Ultrafast connectivity for seamless speed
- Features dynamic automated tuning with AI overclocking and AI cooling
Well, if you are a content creator, then having the best monitor is something very important. And no monitor can be ‘THE BEST’ without having a good quality advanced motherboard installed in it. Content creators find it much more difficult to find a good motherboard; we have solved this problem by adding this motherboard to our list of top recommendations.
This ASUS ProArt comes with Intel 10th Gen core processors that provide you with much better performance. All the credits of ultrafast connectivity go to two thunderbolts, onboard 2.5G LAN, 3 type-C ports, and 10G LAN. You will get high power and speed, making your work much easier for you.
Similar to all other features, this motherboard also leads in intelligence. Whether you talk about cooling, overclocking, or CreationFirst, it will ensure automatic intelligent optimization. Furthermore, it will completely optimize network traffic and fan speeds to ensure work efficiency and enhanced performance.
Built-in 12+ power stages and multi-GPU support within it allows you to get improved memory frequency and helps in empowering the creativity of the content creator. The performance provides completely satisfies the user. Furthermore, the content creation workflows can also be managed easily with centralized software, one-stop management, and monitoring.
- Solid compatibility
- Trusted stability
- Ensures work efficiency
- Enhanced system performance
- The memory could be more good
5. GIGABYTE B450 I AORUS PRO Wi-Fi
- Supports AMD 2nd generation Ryzen/ Ryzen with Radeon Vega Graphics/ 1st generation Ryzen processors
- Dual channel ECC/ non-ECC unbuffered DDR4, 2 DIMMs
- Intel dual band 802.11AC Wave2 Wi-Fi & BT 5
- DisplayPort, HDMI 2 ports for multiple display
There are many great motherboards available in the market, but the motherboard price also increases with improvements in features. If your pocket is tight and you are looking for a budget-friendly product, this is the best motherboard for video editing.
This 400 series motherboard can easily fit with the latest AMD Ryzen processor that helps in offering more features and computing performance. With this motherboard, you can also maximize your PC’s potential to improve storage space and impact the overall experience.
You will also notice lower boot times in this tiny motherboard because of AM StoreMI technology. In addition, you should also expect reinforced armor, lighting touches, and premium features. It comes with two HDMI and one display port output; these multiple outputs will make usage super easy.
Besides the integrated Wi-Fi function, it also has a traffic management feature that helps improve network latency and delivers good responsiveness. It’s USB Gen2 has better bandwidth than previous generations and is also much improved. You don’t have to worry about the system’s durability, as solid power connectors and glass fabric will handle everything.
- Streamlined design
- Multiple outputs
- Extremely stable
- Good audio
- Generates extra heat
6. NZXT N7 B550 – N7-B55XT-W1
- SMART CONTORLS: The N7 B550 includes key features from our RGB and Fan Controller, allowing intuitive control of four RGB lighting channels and seven fan channels through NZXT CAM.
- STUNNING CRAFTSMANSHIP: The metal cover is available in white or black for a seamless look that blends into the background of any NZXT H Series case for a clean aesthetic.
- BUILD MADE EASIER: The N7’s layout streamlines installation with an integrated rear I/O shield and optimally placed headers for easier setup.
- FEATURES: The N7 B550 includes a front panel USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C, WiFi 6 connectivity, and utilizes all PCI express lanes available from the CPU and chipset.
- COMPATIBILITY: Supports AMD Socket AM4 Ryzen Processors (3000, 4000, and 5000 Series Processors
An expandable motherboard is what every one of us wants to have. It is because you can utilize the features of the motherboard in the best possible way. Luckily, this product has an array of slots and ports on it that helps in expanding your PC.
Made with stunning white or seamless black look, it is constructed thoughtfully to stay with you for a long time. For ensuring easier setup, the layout streamlines installation will make the process easier for you. It features front-panel USB 3.2, Wi-Fi 6 connectivity, and Gen 2 Type-C.
It supports two connectors for different storage devices, USB-C, multi-GPU support, 5.1-Channel audio, and CrossFireX technology. Moreover, this is only compatible with 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen 3000,4000 and 5000 series processors, while it does not go well with Ryzen 5 3400G and 3200G processors.
Fan control and digital RGB in this motherboard allow you to control seven fan channels and four lighting channels. This motherboard features a streamlined board layout, Bluetooth and wholly simplifies the building process. With built-in fan controls, users can control lighting or create fan curves.
- Easy to use
- Large storage
- No connectivity issues
- Excellent craftsmanship
- A bit costly
7. MSI MAG B550M Mortar Wi-Fi
- Support for 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen processors and future AMD Ryzen processors with BIOS update
- Supports dual channel DDR4 memory up to 128 GB (4400 MHz)
- 2.5G LAN with LAN Manager and Wi-Fi 6 AX Solution
- Lightning Fast Game experience: PCIe 4.0, Lightning Gen 4 M.2 with M.2 Shield Frozr, AMD Turbo USB 3.2 GEN 2
- AUDIO BOOST rewards your ears with studio grade sound quality for immersive gaming experiences
This MSI gaming motherboard is another amazing product that you can use for video editing. With this, you can have up to 64GBs of unidirectional bandwidth transfer that is good enough for editing. It strikes fast with MSI lighting Gen 4 solution.
Due to heavy workloads, the motherboard usually becomes heated up and can cause a problem. However, this motherboard has an extended heatsink that completely covers the chokes and keeps the system cool. The heatsink in it involves thick copper PCB material, thermal pads, and M.2 Shield Frozr that helps control the temperature.
Another amazing feature in this is the core boost that helps establish a reserved zone of premium power delivery components and optimized circuits. These components combine to create a highly efficient power system that will deliver accurate output to the CPU.
You will find handling and processing this motherboard much easier because of the pre-installed IO shielding. The design is completely grounded, thus helps in protecting the electrostatic from the external environment. Moreover, onboard LAN and Wi-Fi 6 will provide amazing network connectivity for users.
- Allows maximum data transfer
- Premium support
- Best for editing and gaming
- Comes pre-installed
- No risk of electrostatic damage
- Bios needs improvement
What to Consider When Choosing the Best Motherboards for Video Editing
Buying a motherboard for your daily use PC is not as difficult as buying the one for your video editing PC. There are a lot of factors that you should consider before making a purchase. Let’s have a look at some essential components that you should notice while picking a motherboard.
If you have been doing video processing for a long time, you might know that all the video processing software needs a lot of space. For installing the software, you need good memory in your computer, and for this, your motherboard should have large memory.
Make sure to choose a motherboard that supports a minimum of 4 DIMM slots. Furthermore, also notice that the memory of the motherboard is upgraded to benefit you in the future. If it does not have upgradeability, you would have to change the whole motherboard, just for memory.
Video editors always look for the maximum number of USB ports because they have several peripherals and USB devices lying around them. So, while looking for the motherboard for your work purpose, make sure that it has a number of USB ports in it. Other than USB, another crucial thing to notice is the output ports; look for the number of output ports and thunderbolts.
Every computer needs a pathway to convert the data in a visual format that the users can see and utilize. For displaying images on a monitor, you need the help of a graphics card that should be of high quality. Look for the motherboard that can support any kind of GPU so as to make the data realization easy and quick.
Low-powered GPUs are preferred for everyday tasks, while you need premium quality and high-powered GPU support for video editing. For faster processing, you need a motherboard that is compatible with all types of GPUs and supports a large number of GPUs.
Almost every one of us knows the importance of storage as it is one of the core components to notice. While buying a motherboard, you must consider SSB and HDD drives and see how many connections you can add to extend the storage.
Usually, HDD(hard disk drive) comes with spinning platters; these platters are used for storing data. However, in SSD(solid-state drive), all your data is stored in a faster flash; it offers you extra speed and allows you to hold the operating system in a better way. HDD is less expensive, and SSD is expensive, but you won’t regret spending on it.
The main role of the motherboard is to connect with different components. For connecting, it needs DIMM, PCIe, and other slots. When selecting a motherboard for yourself, you need to select the type of connection you want to have carefully. Also, consider what type of ports your case supports, and your motherboard should offer you the internal connections you need.
When choosing the motherboard, you should ask yourself first whether you need a graphics card for video editing or not?
Generally speaking, the GPU requirement depends on the software you choose for editing. If you are dealing with 3D detailing and heavy VFX, you would necessarily need a graphics card. Your editing software uses GPU to help you in rendering your work. So, the need for GPU is wholly relative.
Hopefully, this article was helpful for you in choosing the best motherboard for video editing. All our above-mentioned top picks have different features; choose the one that matches your needs the most.
We have covered motherboards that are best in terms of affordability and quality. We don’t recommend you put your profession at risk just for saving some pennies; this means investing in the right motherboard won’t be a wrong decision. Get the best one and notice a significant change in your editing results!
How We Chose the Best Motherboards for Video Editing
Finding the best motherboard isn’t very easy! Why? It’s because you have to consider many technicalities and specifications. To make your pathway clear, our experts researched a lot about motherboards and then shortlisted the best ones in all aspects of video editing.
All the products that we have added to our list are amazing in one way or other. We noticed different aspects like design, compatibility, support, RAM, storage, budget, etc. After considering all factors, we make a list of the products that remain up to mark in every feature. Let’s go through our list!
You should always choose a motherboard that has all the best features. However, if you have less budget, then don’t compromise on your processor – get at least Intel Core i5 and anything below this is not acceptable!
Usage of cores depends on your requirement. Keep in mind that more cores will make the functioning of the CPU easier, as it will divide the task into chunks. Single-core performance is also not a bad idea if you are working. In short, it all depends on your type of work.
Higher frequency RAM is more expensive than lesser frequency ones, and the performance difference between these two isn’t a lot. Even, in some case motherboards having RAM with higher frequencies starts giving a bad performance. The cost of frequency is too high, while results are only marginal, so it’s not a good idea to spend money on it.