So let’s face it. You want to get your hands on the best mini ITX motherboard. But you don’t want to spend a fortune, and you don’t want to compromise the features either.
Now, even if you spend a lot of money, who says you’ll get high-end features? Mini-ITX motherboards are there in the market, yes. However, not all of them has great RAM slots, build-quality, USB ports, thermal cooling system, and a lot of things.
If you want these high-end features, you need to probably buy a handful of motherboards and do your homework on them. Or, we can tell you about the motherboards we’ve done our experiments on.
Here are the 7 mini ITX motherboards that won our hearts….well…most of them.
Best Mini ITX Motherboards at a glance:
Here’s a quick sneak peek comparing our reviewed products based on their primary attributes. It’s only for when you’re in a hurry. Hop on to the more detailed discussion later to obtain a broader understanding.
- TOP PICK: ASUS ROG Strix X570-I
- RUNNER-UP: MSI MEG Z490I UNIFY
- BEST BUDGET: GIGABYTE B450 I AORUS PRO Wi-Fi
- BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK: ASROCK B460M-ITX/AC
- ENTHUSIAST BUILD: ASRock AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac
- UPGRADE PICK: GIGABYTE Z490I AORUS Ultra
- BEST OVERCLOCKING: GIGABYTE X570 I AORUS Pro Wi-Fi
Now, we will be looking at our top 7 mini ITX motherboards in detail so that you do not have a hard time choosing one. Without further ado, let us jump in!
1. ASUS ROG Strix X570-I – TOP PICK
- AMD AM4 Socket and PCIe 4. 0: The perfect pairing for Zen 3 Ryzen 5000 & 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen CPUs
- Next-gen gaming connectivity: features PCIe 4. 0, HDMI 2. 0, DisplayPort 1. 4, Dual M. 2, USB 3. 2 Type-A and Type-C connectors.
- Fastest gaming networking: Intel Gigabit Ethernet With Asus LANGuard, Wi-Fi 6 (802. 11Ax) with MU-MIMO support, and Gateway teaming via GameFirst V.
- Optimal power solution: 8+2 power stages with a ProCool II power connector, alloy Chokes and durable capacitors to support multi-core processors.
- Comprehensive cooling design: features an actively-cooled VRM, Chipset combo heatsink and heat pipe to absorb and rapidly dissipate heat, meanwhile paired with AIO pump header and multiple chassis-fan header.
- Comes with AM4 socket
- Compatible with 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen and Zen 3 Ryzen 5000 CPUs
- Fastest Gigabit Ethernet for wired connection With Asus LAN Guard
- Supports ASUS-exclusive Aura Sync RGB lighting
- Has got ASUS ROG audio and high-fidelity audio
- AIO pump header with multiple fan header
- DTS Sound Unbound, Sonic Studio III and Supreme S1220A
- Dual M.2, SATA ports USB 3.2, Type-A, and Type-C connectors
- Actively cooled VRM, Chipset combo heatsink & heat-pipe
- Incredible BIOS UI and supports
ASUS ROG Strix X570 dominates the current market with its excellent features and superb build quality within a fair price tag. It has an AM4 socket making it a perfect choice for every AMD processor, even the upcoming ones.
The ASUS ROG mini ITX motherboard supports up to 64GB of memory, giving you a head start in gaming. You won’t have to worry about getting a new rig every time a blockbuster title comes out.
This mini ITX motherboard provides an extensive range of connectivity support. You will get PCIe 4.0 for inserting the latest gen GPUs.
As network modules, there is a WiFi 6 (802.11ax) for wireless connection and an Intel Gigabit Ethernet port for wired connection. Say hello to uninterrupted online gaming without a sweat!
For the storage ports, there are SATA 6Gb/s ports and Dual M.2 slots. You can add multiple SSDs.
There are display output and input ports like HDMI 2.0, DisplayPort 1.4. You will also get multiple USB 3.2, Type-A, and Type-C connectors. Goodbye connectivity issues!
In addition, ASUS-Exclusive Aura Sync RGB illumination is supported on the motherboard, including RGB headers and Gen 2 headers. It is excellent for those who need aesthetic looks to their rig.
Without any doubt, ASUS ROG Strix X570-I Gaming wins the title of best mini ITX motherboard for AMD fans.
2. MSI MEG Z490I UNIFY – RUNNER-UP
- Supports 10th Generation Intel Core / Pentium Gold / Celeron Processors for LGA 1200 socket
- Supports dual channel DDR4 memory
- Aluminum Cover with Extended Heatsink: All-metal extended heatsink cover enlarge the surface of heat dissipation, ensures even high-end processors to run in full speed.
- 2.5G Gaming LAN with Latest Wi-Fi 6 Solution: Onboard 2.5G LAN with gaming LAN manager, combining latest Wi-Fi 6 solution which supports MU-MIMO and BSS color technology, delivering the best online gaming experience.
- Frozr Heatsink Design: Designed with the patented fan and double ball bearings to provide the best performance for enthusiast gamers and prosumers..Socket LGA1200
- Comes with LGA1200 socket
- Compatible with 10th Generation Intel Core/Pentium Gold/Celeron Processors
- 2.5G Gaming LAN with Latest WiFi 6 feature
- 2 DIMM slots, PCIe 4.0, HDMI 2.0, DisplayPort 1.4, M.2 slot.
- USB 3.2, Type-A, and USB Type C connectors
- Aluminum Cover with Extended Heatsink and Frozr Heatsink Design
The best option for a mini ITX motherboard for Intel processor owners is the MSI MEG Z490I Unify.
This gorgeous-looking mini-ITX motherboard comes with a Z490 chipset and LGA1200 socket compatible with all the latest generation Intel processors. There will be no issues of backward compatibility either.
The mini ITX motherboard supports dual-channel accelerated DDR4 memory up to 128GB. Talk about blazing fast! Well, streaming videos and gaming will be a flash from now on.
Thanks to its aluminum cover with an extended heatsink and multiple temperature sensors, this motherboard is excellent for spreading heat. The High-end processors can run at maximum boost as all-metal enlarged heatsink covers extend the heat dissipation surface.
You will also have access to 4 PCI-Express slots. Worry no more about where to install your graphics cards.
As for the network protocols, you will be gaining 2.5G Gaming LAN with the Latest WiFi 6 feature. Laggy internet gaming and low FPS will become a thing of the past. HDMI 2.0, DisplayPort 1.4 for up to 4K resolution support allows you to experience crisp display and stunning colors!
For the storage solutions, you will get M.2 slots to install super-fast SSDs. What about connecting your gadgets, though? Well, you can connect almost every device with every USB type. There are a couple of USB 3.2, Type-A, and Type-C connectors.
On a short note, the MSI MEG Z490I Unify motherboard might as well be the best mini ITX motherboard out there. Offering great features along with premium build quality, you should not hesitate to get this mini ITX motherboard.
3. GIGABYTE B450 I AORUS PRO Wi-Fi – Best Budget
- Supports AMD 2nd generation Ryzen/ Ryzen with Radeon Vega Graphics/ 1st generation Ryzen processors
- Dual channel ECC/ non-ECC unbuffered DDR4, 2 DIMMs
- Intel dual band 802.11AC Wave2 Wi-Fi & BT 5
- DisplayPort, HDMI 2 ports for multiple display
- B450 chipset with the AM4 socket
- Supports a wide range of AMD processors
- Built-in WiFi support
- PCI-E expansion slots for graphics card
- Dual-channel DDR4 memory up to 64GB
- 4 NVMe PCIe Gen3 M.2 slots
Not many can or simply want to invest a lot of money behind motherboards. Thankfully, AMD’s Ryzen Zen 2 CPU supports the B450 chipset. In that case, the Gigabyte B450I Aorus Pro WiFi motherboard is the perfect answer. This mini ITX motherboard costs a lot less than X570 motherboards.
There is an AM4 socket that supports Radeon Vega Graphics/Athlon with Radeon Vega Graphics Processors and 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Gen Ryzen.
It supports up to 64GB RAM with 2 slots available. You can insert your graphics card in the PCI-e 3×16 slot as well.
The cherry on the top – you will also be getting Intel dual-band 802.11AC Wave2 WiFi & BT5. Enjoy an excellent network connection, both wired and wireless, inside your house or office.
As storage ports, you will be getting Ultra-Fast NVMe PCIe Gen3 x4 M.2 slots. There is an option to add up to 4 SSDs to this motherboard for even greater storage capacity.
Naturally, it comes with multiple display ports, HDMI ports, USB B, USB Type C, and USB 3.1 ports. As a result, you won’t have a hard time connecting your pen drives, phones, or any other device that comes with USB connection settings.
Overall, we can easily say that this Gigabyte B450I Aorus Pro WiFi motherboard is an excellent choice as a mini ITX motherboard within a low budget.
4. ASROCK B460M-ITX/AC – BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK
- Supports 10th Gen Intel Core Processors (Socket 1200)
- Supports DDR4 2933 MHz
- Graphics Output Options: HDMI, DisplayPort
- 7.1 CH HD Audio (Realtek ALC887 Audio Codec)
- 4 SATA3, 1 Ultra M.2 (PCIe Gen3 x4 & SATA3)
- B460 chipset with an LGA 1200 socket
- Supports Intel 10th gen processors
- PCI-E interface
- M.2 slot for storage expansion
- 7.1 CH HD Audio (Realtek ALC887 Audio Codec)
- Supports WiFi protocol 802.11c
- Dual RAM slots up to 32GB
Intel processors often require high-end motherboards like Z490 motherboards. For those with a tight budget, the ASROCK B460M-ITX/AC can be an affordable option.
Equipped with an LGA 1200 socket, this mini ITX motherboard is compatible with most 10th Gen Intel Core CPUs. Worrying about compatibility should be a thing of the past if you have this motherboard.
Despite being a budget motherboard, this one provides some impressive features for blazing-fast performance. You will get two DIMM slots those support DDR4 2933 MHz RAM modules. The maximum RAM capacity is 32GB. So, there’s no way you can worry about speed.
This motherboard also offers 4X SATA3 ports to connect HDD or SSD. You will get an Ultra-fast M.2 slot to install Nvme SSD. Now, if you want to have mind-boggling performance, everyone will suggest you switch to SSDs, and from now on, it won’t be a problem at all.
As for connecting display outputs, you can find the dual HDMI ports pretty handy. Besides, you can also connect your smartphones and other mini gadgets too. Thanks to the Notable USB 3.0 and Type C ports the motherboard comes with.
Overall, ASROCK B460M-ITX/AC might not be packed with top-notch stats and features, but it can be a great mini ITX board option for those who are low on funds.
5. ASRock AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac – Enthusiast Build
- Chipset: AMD Promontory B350
- DDR4 DIMM Slots
- 1 PCIe 3.0 x16
- SATA: 4x SATA3 Ports
- Audio: Realtek ALC1220 7.1-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC
- AMD B350 chipset with an AM4 socket
- Supports Ryzen Zen 1 and Zen 2 processors
- 4 X SATA3 ports
- Dual DIMM slots of 2400 MHz DDR4 RAM capacity
- PCIe 3.0 x 16 slot
ASROCK AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac is a very basic mini ITX motherboard with limited processor support. This motherboard is an option for people with minimalistic needs and a low budget.
Thanks to an AMD B350 chipset and AM4 socket, this motherboard supports Ryzen Zen 1 and Zen 2 processors. You can add 2400 MHz DDR4 RAM in two slots up to 32GB. You will get a PCIe 3.0 x16 slot for inserting supported graphics cards.
You can add your desired graphics cards to the motherboard and expand the RAM capacity for a mind-boggling gaming experience and heavy-duty graphics design jobs.
When it comes to storage, it’s equipped with 4X SATA. Add multiple HDDs or SATA SSDs according to your need and utilize the expanded storage without much of a hard time.
The audio CODEC used in this motherboard is Realtek ALC1220 7.1-Channel High-Definition Audio CODEC. You can enjoy crystal clear audio with decent volumes.
ASROCK AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac does not offer many of the latest technologies and is a bare-minimum mini ITX motherboard used for low-end processors. It’s suggested for people who work with light workloads in their system.
6. GIGABYTE Z490I AORUS Ultra – Upgrade Pick
- Supports 10th Gen Intel Core processors
- Direct 8 Phases Digital VRM with 90A Smart Power Stage with Tantalum Polymer Capacitors Array
- Extended MOSFET Heatsink and Multi-layed PCH M.2 Heatsink with Heatpipes
- Xtreme Memory Design Dual Channel DDR4 (4x DIMM slots)
- Dual Channel Non-ECC Unbuffered DDR4, 4 DIMMs
- Z490 motherboard with LGA1200 socket
- Compatible with 10th Generation Intel Core processors
- Dual DIMM slots, PCIe 4.0, HDMI 2.0, DisplayPort 1.4
- USB 3.2, Type-A, and Type-C connectors
- Intel WiFi 6 and Bluetooth 5
- Extended MOSFET Heatsink
- RGB Fusion 2.0 supported
- Multi-layered PCH M.2 Heatsink with Heatpipes
Gigabyte brings their state-of-the-art enthusiast mini ITX motherboard, GIGABYTE Z490I, with next-generation features and Intel processors support.
Living up to its name, the Aorus premium components are top-of-the-shelf motherboards with exquisite design and futuristic attributes. The GIGABYTE Z490I is equipped with a Z490 chipset and LGA1200 socket.
It is compatible with the latest-gen Intel processors so that you don’t need to think twice about future-proofing.
Featuring an enormous capacity of 128GB 5000Mhz RAM, this motherboard stands out from the rest of the products. The DVRM comes with as many as 90A Smart power stages. Tantalum Polymer Capacitors Array is also incredibly powerful, with a direct 8 phase digital VRM.
The thermal solution on this motherboard is also unparalleled. This small ITX motherboard lets you operate your CPU, GPU, and RAM at the highest clock speed. All the credit goes to the multi-temperature sensors, expanded MOSFET Heatsink, and multi-layered PCH M.2 heatsink with heat pipes.
As a result, you won’t have any complaints when it comes to speed and efficiency. The best part? It won’t get hot at all.
Needless to say, the beast is equipped with USB 3.2, USB C, multiple HDMI, DVI, and display ports. You connect almost any gadget with your PC with a snap.
The dual M.2 Slots are heat protected by the Next Generation Thermal Guard. It is a fancy addition to the motherboard as it will allow you to add super-fast and boosted storage drives.
As for Bluetooth connectivity, you will be getting Intel WiFi 6 and Bluetooth 5 teaming up with the new AORUS Antenna for network connectivity. Aorus also features RGB Fusion 2.0 to sync your whole RGB system together. Fancy!
If you have the budget and enthusiasm, the GIGABYTE Z490I AORUS Ultra is the perfect choice for you. It is one of the best mini ITX motherboards out there. The fantastic performance, along with high-end features, will not disappoint you at the least.
7. GIGABYTE X570 I AORUS Pro Wi-Fi – Best Overclocking
- Supports AMD 3rd Gen Ryzen/ 2nd Gen Ryzen/ 2nd Gen Ryzen with Radeon Vega Graphics/ Ryzen with Radeon Vega Graphics processors
- Dual channel ECC/ non-ECC unbuffered DDR4, 2 DIMMs
- Direct 8 phase infineon digital VRM solution with 70A power stage
- Extended VRM heatsink and 5W/MK thermal pad
- Dual ultra-fast NVMe PCIe 4.0/3.0 x4 M.2
- 570 chipsets with AM4 Socket
- Compatible with Ryzen Zen 2 and Zen3 processors along with Ryzen 5000 series processors
- There are 2 RAM sticks that come with DDR4 64 GB RAM capacity
- Direct 8-phase Infineon digital VRM solution with power stage
- You’re getting Dual HDMI port along with DisplayPort 1.4, M.2
- RGB Fusion 2.0 support
- Compatible with USB 3.2, Type-A, and even USB Type C connectors
- 5W/MK thermal pad and Extended VRM heatsink
Introducing the best motherboard for high-end AMD processors with incredible overclocking support — the GIGABYTE X570. The Aorus AMD motherboards supposedly increase the overclocking performances of the high-end AMD processors to a great extent.
Featuring an X570 chipset with an AM4 socket, this motherboard supports all latest-gen AMD Ryzen processors. As for the RAM support, you can connect up to 64 GB if it’s a DDR 4. And we’re not just talking about the dual channel ones. You’ll also get ECC and Non-ECC ones.
What makes this AMD motherboard so good for overclocking support is its excellent power delivery and optimization, along with exceptional thermal cooling. All thanks to the extended heat sink.
The Infineon Digital VRM with a 70A power stage has a direct 8-phase solution. For the thermal solution, you will get a thermal pad and heatsink. Yep, we’re talking about the 5W/MK joining hands with the Extended VRM heatsink. These will make your system very stable while overclocking.
Talk about connectivity galore! You’re getting comes with PCIe 4.0, HDMI 2.0, DisplayPort 1.4, M.2, USB 3.2, Type-A, and Type-C connectors. So yes, it doesn’t matter what type of USB port your other gadgets come with, you can always connect them with your PC.
Let’s not forget that you will also be getting RGB Fusion 2.0 support with this X570 motherboard to cater to your gaming persona’s wild side. Without any doubt, the GIGABYTE X570 is a fantastic option for users with the intention of overclocking their system.
What to Consider When Choosing the Best Mini ITX Motherboard
The motherboard can be considered the prime component of any computer system. Without a good motherboard, other components will fail to operate precisely. The CPU primarily benefits from a high-end motherboard.
A good motherboard can and will increase or decrease the overall performance of your desktop. Therefore, it’s in your best interest that you should study motherboards before buying one.
You should consider multiple criteria and features for your desired motherboard. Such as mini ITX form factor PCs are easier to carry around. Every motherboard has both strong and weak points. Make sure you choose the one that best suits your needs.
Here are some of our top considerations while making this curated list of the best mini ITX motherboards.
While buying a motherboard, it’s crucial to know about its Form Factor. Although they do not impact your phantom gaming performance, it is necessary to have the correct form factor to fit your motherboard into the casing.
Motherboards come in usually in three types of form factors. ATX, Micro-ATX, and mini ITX form factor. You’ll have to keep in mind that the Standard ATX boards are bigger. On the other hand, the mini-ITX motherboards are smaller boards for more compact builds.
The chipset of the motherboard determines your processor type. For instance, the latest generation Intel processors require Z490 chipsets, while most AMD processors can work with various chipsets like B450, B550, and X570.
So, you need to find the motherboard with the right chipset compatible with your CPU.
Another thing that needs to be compatible with your CPU is the socket type of the motherboard. The latest-gen AMD processors require an AM4 socket. On the other hand, Intel processors use LGA1200 sockets.
It is vital to know the socket type of your motherboard. Otherwise, your CPU will not be installed into the motherboard.
Memory slots are the slots where the RAM modules are installed. Usually, all ATX motherboards have 4 DIMM slots, but mini ITX motherboards have 2 DIMM slots to make them more compact.
Motherboards are also limited to their maximum memory capacity. Meaning, not every motherboard can support 64GB or 128GB RAM. So, make sure your motherboard can handle the total amount of RAM you want to use.
Necessary components like Graphics cards, network cards, and sound cards go into the PCI-E slots. Depending on the form factor, the motherboard will have a fixed number of PCI-E slots. ATX motherboards might have 5-6 PCI-E slots, while mini ITX motherboards usually offer 2-3 PCI-E slots.
Days of SATA HDDs or SSDs are over. In this era, you need super-fast M.2 or better NVME SSDs installed on your rig.
Most modern motherboards support multiple M.2 and NVME slots these days. Choose the motherboard that offers adequate storage options according to your needs.
A motherboard connects all the different parts, devices, and components that a system needs to use. Including input, output devices, internal components are connected via the motherboard.
Make sure your mini ITX motherboard features include all USB ports like USB 3.0 ports, USB Type C ports, dual HDMI, Display ports, Ethernet ports, etc. These ports are necessary for day-to-day life.
Buying extension slots or cables is an unnecessary hassle if your motherboard can offer these ports itself.
It is the software that maintains and manages your whole system. BIOS update can increase your system performance and stability by a mile. Manufacturers these days offer regular BIOS updates to improve the motherboard’s optimization and functionality.
It also offers manual overclocking and headroom for system performance increment via the BIOS menu. You can tweak your desired settings if your motherboard has a high-end BIOS UI.
A monstrous rig needs proper aesthetics and thermal solution to work. A motherboard’s design matters a lot in the overall looks of the system. Also, a high-end system can get heated a lot, and the motherboard needs to handle the heating issues.
High-end mini ITX motherboards have multiple heatsinks to transfer the heat efficiently. Some mini ITX motherboards also offer RGB lighting that can undoubtedly add up to your build’s aesthetics.
Each and every motherboard we have mentioned here are at the top of their class. The best mini ITX motherboard can dominate their competitors by storm. You can choose any one of them according to your style and requirements. Every motherboard has its own perks and uniqueness.
We recommend X570 and Z490I mini ITX motherboards if you have a stretchable budget. These mini ITX motherboards are of elite quality. They can give you a lot of space to further upgrade and improve your rig.
However, if you are short on budget, B450 and B460 are not bad choices either. It is totally up to you how you would build your system.
How We Chose the Best Mini ITX Motherboards
In the current market, there are countless mini ITX motherboards to choose from. However, not all of them will provide you with the best experience in their class. To filter out the best choices, you have to research the market, user feedback, and experts’ comments on the products.
Fortunately for you, we have already completed the necessary research. We evaluated the current market products, analyzed the user reviews, and consulted the best in this field. As a result, you may be confident in the article’s authenticity.
The mini ITX motherboards we have reviewed here are from the top-notch manufacturers in the world. Premium build quality and exceptional after-sale services of the best mini ITX motherboards are also worth mentioning.
It is necessary to research the product you intend to purchase. So that you do not waste your precious money on products, you will not benefit from. The following article should be extremely useful in this regard.
We have tried to gather detailed information about the mini ITX motherboards and carefully organize them according to their specs. This article should provide you with everything you need to know about the finest mini ITX motherboards!
No. every mini ITX motherboard is not compatible with every processor. You have to check the chipset and socket type of the motherboard to know whether it will support the CPU or not.
No, all motherboards do not have built-in Wi-Fi support similar to Bluetooth support. Some models do offer pre-built Wi-Fi and Bluetooth support.
For instance, the MSI MEG Z490I Unify Gaming Motherboard comes with built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth support.
Yes, the mini ITX form factor is supported by every processor.
No, every motherboard does not have an RGB header. You need to get a motherboard with an RGB header to control your RGB lights.
Yes, X570 motherboards support DDR5 RAM and AMD Ryzen 5000 series CPUs.
No, you can’t fit your ATX motherboard in a mini ITX case.